How to Care for a Synthetic Wig
Taking proper care of your wig is essential in order to maintain its intended style and keep your wig looking great longer. We’ve put together some wig care tips that will help extend the life of your wig. Go read our article How to Care for a Human Hair Wig, if you are looking for care instructions for human hair.
- Always handle your wig gently.
- Brush your wig with a brush before washing to remove tangles and spray build up.
- Use wig shampoo and other wig care products that are formulated specifically for wig fibers.
- Use wig conditioner regularly to help soften dryness and bring out the luster and mobility of the fiber. The conditioner will also help restore the original style pattern of the wig.
- Air dry your wig by hanging it loosely on a wig stand or spray can to ensure healthy-looking, manageable fibers. Placing a wet wig on a styrofoam head or a blockhead can stretch and ruin the wig cap.
- Use wig styling tools that are made specifically for wigs. For example, using a wig cap underneath a wig often results in a more comfortable wearing experience. The cap will help secure your natural hair, and can also help prevent breakage and thinning, especially at the crown. Using a chin strap will help hold the wig securely on your head, freeing up your hands for styling. If you have trouble keeping your arms raised for longer periods of time, you might choose to style your wig on a styling head rather than on your own head. This will also make it easier to style the back of the wig, and other parts you may not be able to reach as easily if you are wearing it. The REVIVE™ STYLING STARTER KIT by REVIVE has all of these styling tools, including pins to secure the wig on the styling head, a touch-up brush, and a teaser lifter comb. Read more about how to style a wig here.
- Avoid contact with heat from boiling water, a preheated oven, curling iron, blow dryer, clothes dryer, open fires, and BBQ grill.
- Avoid rubbing against things that create friction, which can be damaging to a wig, such as upholstered furniture, high collars, and bed pillows.
- Never rub, twist, or wring your wig.
- Never brush or touch your wig when it is wet from water, steam, rain, snow, excessive spraying, or perspiration.
If you're looking for a complete wig care kit, here are some options to consider: The REVIVE WIG CARE KIT by REVIVE includes everything you need for wig care – wig spray (8 fl oz., non-aerosol), non-static shampoo (8 fl oz.), revitalizing conditioner (8 fl oz.), volumizing mousse (7 fl oz.), a wig cap liner (HairUWear brand), and a professional wig brush. It comes packaged in a handy vinyl tote. This also comes in a mini travel kit for someone on the go. There is a similar travel size wig care kit by HairUWear that includes a Wash + Wear Moist Shampoo (3.4 fl oz.), Leave-In Conditioner + Detangler (3.4 fl oz.), and a Shape + Hold Hair Spray (3.4 fl oz.). The HairUWear kit products are specially formulated for both synthetic and human hair. Another popular option is the JON RENAU EASIHAIR SYNTHETIC WIG CARE KIT comes with a Jon Renau easiHair Shampoo (8.5 fl oz.), easiHair Conditioning Spray (8.5 fl oz.), HD Smooth Detangler (8.5 fl oz.), and a Jon Renau Wide Tooth Comb.
Following these wig care tips is easy! It will help to extend the life of your wig, and keep you looking fabulous. View all wig care products.